Professional Internship Programme
To meet the demands of the modern workplace, Kingston Law School is changing how it educates and trains its law students. From September 2016, all students will take new three year degrees geared to enhancing their careers and employability. The degrees will better prepare students for the world of work, combining academic learning, professional experience, management skills training and professional links.
Kingston Law School already has a high quality professional internship programme. However, from May 2017 we will be increasing the number of professional internships offered to law students and are looking for more organisations to take part in this innovative programme.
Your organisation will be in great company. Our current professional internship providers include Norton Rose, KPMG and Atherton Bailey. We regularly receive excellent feedback from these companies and many go on to offer permanent positions to our students.
We are looking for internship organisations of all sizes, throughout the private, public and voluntary sectors. Whether you are a legal practice, a barrister in chambers or a legal department within a business, we believe you will benefit from becoming one of our professional internship providers. We also believe you can offer our students valuable legal experience, which will enable them to see the range and scope of modern professional practice.
Advantages for your organisation:
By joining our professional internship programme you will:
- Gain professionally skilled workers: Our students will be “work-ready” before they begin a professional internship. They will be trained in a range of skills including workplace professionalism, self-management, planning, organising, target-setting and working effectively in a team.
- Gain workers who are prepared: Our students will be ready to apply their practical learning and critical understanding to the real world of work.
- Gain workers who are enthusiastic: Our students will bring their skills, knowledge and enthusiasm to their professional internships and be eager to work in roles that complement their degrees.
- Gain workers studying for professional qualifications: The new degrees remain qualifying law degrees recognised by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).
- Gain workers from diverse backgrounds: Kingston Law School students come from a wide range of backgrounds and countries, fully reflecting the society in which your organisation operates.
- Gain potential future employees: You will gain access to talented, experienced and trained potential employees. Professional internship providers have given graduate roles to an amazing 70 per cent of Kingston students who took professional internships (source: KU Talent).
Key features of our new three year degrees:
- Qualifying law degrees recognised by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). After graduating students will be able to move to the vocational stage of legal training.
- Professional experience – students have two opportunities to undertake a summer internship of up to nine weeks, giving practical experience. The internship may be in the UK or overseas.
- A full professional readiness programme to ensure students make the most of their professional internship – over 150 hours of relevant skills training in addition to full academic content. This makes sure students are ‘work ready’ before going on a professional internship.
To find out more why not visit our frequently asked questions(FAQs) page or to register your interest please complete our enquiry form